Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Zen Runners

Oh, how I wish I could be a zen runner.  Those people who get their shoes on and just leave the house, with never a thought about taking a watch, music, gps or other "necessity" ....they do it purely for the run, with no need to analyze, dissect the pace/distance/altitude, or the need to be distracted at times.  The run is their high, regardless if its 2 miles or 20.

I will never be a zen runner.  Its simply impossible.  Type A personality here, and while I love the idea of zen running, I fear that my personality would never embrace the  simplicity of zen running.  I have a strong desire for data and analytics (something my current profession very much utilizes).  I love being a Type A, but for running, I wish a Type B personality could fit me comfortably.  The person who is not nearly as competitive (in every facet of life), but if they are, its not something that takes over their lives.  My husband...Type B.  If he "thinks" he ran around a 5k, thats good enough for him.  If he "thinks" it was around 30 minutes, he's ok with that.  Of course, I question this pace and distance...but it doesn't really matter to him.  He is simply glad that he got out there.  No accollades or timers or pacers needed...no "analytics" are required after a run.  Just a run.

Oh, being a zen runner represents such freedom, and yet, the Type A in me finds so much strength in the analytics.  Is it possible to be both?

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely Type A.
    I just signed up for the Sarasota Half in 2012. Read your review. Are you running it again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its either the Sarasota Half or the Florida Halfathon.

    http://www.floridabeachhalfathon.com/

    Both are well run, so you may want to check both out. The kids/hubby may insist on the Sarasota Half because its a mere 10 minutes away, but they are both great. Think I'll make the decision in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I would love to be a runner who frolicks about, not caring about calories burned. But I do care. And so I never leave the house without my heart monitor and iPod with Nike chip. I need to know how far I ran!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...