Tuesday, May 8, 2012

RRCA Certified Coach....Yeah Baby Yeah!

RRCA CoachI can now proudly display this logo on my site!  As you may recall, I took the 2-day, 16-hour course back in March.  Later that month, I took the certification exam and scored well over 90%.  In April, I earned by First Aid certification.  And this month, I earned my in-class CPR certification.  Yep, thats right.  All requirements are now complete, with just a few days to spare.

Looking back, I know that I earned this certification just for me.  I love learning facts and understanding concepts, and this is no different when it comes to running.  I have a strong NEED to understand why I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  Just having someone tell me what I need to do simply isn't sufficient.  Then again, I find a lot of confidence from learning the process, and I do hope to share it with others some day.

Sure, I have no interest/time to become a devoted coach to others.  But, I love being available to answer questions, you know?  I love being able to cheer people on and motivate them to do more than they ever thought they could.  Therefore, this certification falls completely in line with this part of my personality.

I hope to share some of this knowledge that I have gained.  Some may be new to you.  Some may be something you've always read and did.  Some may motivate you.  Either way, I hope I can inspire you.



5 comments:

  1. Hi there! New to your blog but I saw this. Tweet about certifying and it caught my eye. First of all- congrats!! This is awesome. Thanks for sharing the info on how many hours, etc. this was. If you don't mind me asking, how much does the certification course cost? I have not seriously looked into it yet but would really like to go this one day. Maybe when my youngest gets a little older... Anyway, great job on passing. Display that logo proudly!! You earned it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for all the typos!! Commenting from my phone!

      Delete
  2. Hi Tia! First thing you need to do is to get on the email distribution list....just wait until there is a course offered nearby, but when it appears, jump on it! They fill up really fast, and you can be guaranteed that the wait list will ever be re-opened at a later date. So, promise yourself that when its close, you will do it. Add your email address to their notification distribution here:

    http://www.rrca.org/programs/coaching-certification/

    The course was $300. The class was on a Friday/Saturday (so the attendees could participate in the half on Sunday). I think this is pretty typical of their sessions. So, you will need to take Friday off of work, if you typically work a "regular" schedule.

    After the course, within 60 days (if I recall) you need to complete the online certification exam. If you paid attention in the class, this isn't so bad....so no need to overly stress. Then again, you only get one shot at it.

    Within 60 days from the class start date, you need to take the following:
    * First Aid course - this can be done online. Mine cost me $15.
    * CPR course - this has to be in person. There are a variety of options out there, depending upon where you live. Because I was focusing on a basic adult CPR course (I really didn't need the AED or the child/infant CPR course), I wasn't over-paying for it. The Red Cross offers a ton of options. Just the adult CPR course was $70.

    So, if you get this done locally, expect to pay between $300-400. Maybe your work offers a CPR/First Aid course (mine did, but only twice a year), so there are ways to minimize your expenses.

    Once you get everything done, you need to show proof of certifications to the class instructor. She facilitates and hand-holds you throughout the process.

    Its definitely worth doing...if you are doing it for yourself. If you are doing it to become a true coach, remember that this is only the first step and there is still a lot to learn. Sure, you can coach beginners/coach potatoes or recreational runners after this class, but I would venture to say you would not be ready to train competitive athletes. Its one step in a (hopefully) life-long learning process.

    You need to keep your certifications current though to keep on their official roster! So, you will be taking more first aid/cpr classes in the future just to ensure your certification does not expire.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I would love to be able to take the course someday and get certified to coach. I have helped several friends with training plans and feel this is something that I could really enjoy (when the kids are a little older, of course!). So fun to learn new things. I have to agree, I like to know why I "should" do a certain workout, etc, not just go through the motions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anne! Some people just want to be told what to do, and some people have the NEED to know why they are doing it. Seriously, if its something that interests you...go for it! But definitely find a way to make it happen if a course is offered nearby, as you could conceivably wait 2 years for one to be offered within an hour of you.

    But if you have any questions about my experience, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...