Sunday, July 31, 2011

Joining a Running Club

I knew from the start that this was the right thing to do. I even researched it (as there are several in the area), and determined I needed to find a club fit for:

* Run Locations
* Run Distances
* Run Paces
* Speed/Track Training

So. I found one...Bradenton Runners Club. The club has runs about 4 times a week:

* Sunday morning long beach run (about 5 minutes west from my house)
* Tuesday evening run (about 10 minutes east from my house)...this one is a bridge run
(Florida's version of hills!)
* Thursday night speed workouts (about 5 minutes east of my house at one of the high schools)
* Saturday morning beach (about 10 minutes southwest of my house)

I even got onto their Facebook page to see what the sunday run was like...distance range and speed range to see how well I would "fit". I don't want to be the slowest person there, nor do I want to be the only one going a shorter distance! Turns out that the Sunday run, which is by far the largest, runs 4.5-11 miles, and anywhere from 7minute pace to 13, with the average summer participant right around 10:30 pace. So far then, it seems to fit.

So, I completed the club application, mailed in my check for membership and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm still not sure that I'm ready to run with them...maybe just a bit intimidated? Sure, I'm running the minimum distance and somewhere around the average time, but its still a stretch for me to think that I belong there, you know? Afterall, I'm so new and being around speedy runners is bit much...but then, if I want to be speedier AND cover more distance, doesnt this just make complete sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...