Monday, July 25, 2016

Running with Kids...Week 3 Recap

T-41 Days until our first 5k.

Our protocol for this last week:
Run 3 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 90 seconds
Walk 2 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
....and repeat.


Excluding our warm up and cool down walks, we are finally running more than walking:
  • 15 minutes of running
  • 10 minutes of walking
You would have thought that I was abusing them...between their bickering and their whimpering and their hurt feelings because they were not encouraging each other on the first day of this week....let's just say that I was glad that tomorrow was a rest day!

The first time with this schedule went pretty well, even given the above. We had a minor mishap on the first 3-minute interval...my son looked back to tell my daughter something and he ended up with a minor knee and hand scrape.  Of course, it was all her fault....that's how the run started and ended.  But, we will survive and learn not to compare ourselves to the other and I swear these two are going to learn how to SUPPORT each other, even given their differing strengths!

While hard, their lungs should have started to see improvements.  I keep on telling them:
  • It takes 2 weeks for your heart to start strengthening
  • It takes 4 weeks for your muscles to start strengthening
  • It takes 6 months for your bones to start strengthening
And you know what...I think at least my daughter sees that her heart is stronger after two weeks of running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...