Friday, March 23, 2012

2012-2013 Race Calendar

So, I threw out all the races that I want to do...warning...its a lot!
  • 2 5Ks
  • 2 4-Milers
  • 2 5-Milers
  • 9 Half Marathons
The 5K's are local and I think these are simply traditions in the making. Robinson Preserve is 3 miles away from my house and my first "trail" and Canes Classic is about 2 miles away and is a speedy cross-country race (and the first race of the season) for lots of runners in the area (lots of times under 20 minutes is not unusual here).

There are two 4-milers. UPCC is beautiful...the only time you can actually run ON a golf course.  Its about 70% grass/trail and 30% paved, by my recollection.  The spread afterwards is gorgeous...really classy.  The other 4-miler is the Ringling Bridge.  Its an intimidating bridge, but its a great little race to judge your "hill" stamina, and its a great predecessor for the Sarasota Half since it runs the same bridge.

The two 5-milers are put on by Bradenton Runners Club, and extremely well done.  The Turkey Trot one is no-fee (bring food to share and donate) and timed.  Amazingly organized for a free race...I would seriously pay for this one if I needed to.  The Manatee River Run is their annual fundraiser. 

The one 10-miler I want to do (Tower of Terror 10k in September)...just don't think it will be possible.  Joe may be at Oktoberfest this year for a big boy's trip (mind you, its with my brothers and father).  While I can appreciate the idea of a boy's-only vacation, I must say that I'm a tad jealous that he gets to go to Germany before me.

The half marathons are aplenty, but pretty well spaced out (except January-March).  That is going to be hectic, but at least there are only two back-to-back weekends.  So, as long as I stay healthy, I can do them.  As for the summer, maybe I should try a mud run or two?  Just to keep busy!

Drumroll please....
  • 9/3/12 Canes Classic 5k*
  • TBD University Park Country Club 4-Miler*
  • 9/29/12 Tower of Terror 10 Miler – may have major schedule conflict
  • 10/28/12 Florida Halloween Halfathon
  • 11/18/12 Women’s Running Half Marathon
  • 11/22/12 BRC Turkey Trot 5-Miler (my club)*
  • 12/9/12 Florida Holiday Halfathon
  • 12/31/12 BRC Manatee River Run 5-Miler*
  • TBD Ringling Bridge 4-Miler*
  • 1/20/13 Disney Tinkerbell Half Marathon or Clearwater Halfathon
  • 1/27/13 ING Miami Half
  • 2/10/13 St Petesrburg Rock-n-Roll*
  • 2/24/13 Disney Princess Half Marathon*
  • 3/17/13 Sarasota Half Marathon* or Florida Beach Halfathon*
  • TBD Robinson Preserve 5k*
  • TBD Iron Girl Half Marathon*
The races above with asteriks are being run in the 2011-2012 race season, so race report links are/will be available here.

The biggest obstacle I have is knowing how to train once racing season begins.  I completely get how to train for a half marathon...knowing what I have to do and why.  But, once race season starts, how should I handle those weeks in between races?  Over the summer, I really need to nail down that part.  I "get" what I need to analyze...I just need to analyze it!

So, am I going to kill myself in the process?  I hope not!  I just need to be smart and diligent, so the schedule keeps me from injury and keeps my family sane!

2 comments:

  1. What helps, if you are planning to race any of these to PR vs just to finish, is to pick an A race and train for that using the others as training runs (it can be speed work) towards that main race. When I tried for my last marathon this past year, I didn't race as often but those that I did were only when they fit into my schedule. For example, instead of doing 12 mile repeats, I ran a half marathon at marathon race pace, which was still a PR because I had improved so much during my marathon training. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my plan...I just need to determine which ones are "training" races versus which ones I want to be "PR" effort. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...