Monday, August 8, 2016

Running with Kids...Week 5

T-27 Days until our first 5k.


So, we are getting closer...and fortunately stronger. And, while my intentions last week was to run alone with each of the kids (most of the time), we did run once together...and no bickering!  Whats most surprising is that my daughter was the stronger runner and my son lagged behind...which is a first.  I'm not sure if she stepped up because he was tired, but its nice to see her comfortable with the intervals...at least once.  The run prior with her alone, I swear I saw teardrops on her face.  She doesn't want to stop....I think she's scared that she can't do it....or maybe her side-stitch really was as painful as she indicated (which was the reason she told me that she was tearing).  I don't think she's afraid of letting me down.  Maybe she was just over-tired and therefore over-sensitive?   At least it didn't affect her the following run.  While I know she was pushing herself, she seemed very capable.

For the most part, our runs this last week averaged 15-16 minutes in 3 intervals.  The long interval averaged 6 minutes.  Some days it was closer to 5 and some days it was 6.5 (they forgot to ask "how much longer mom" every 20 seconds, so I kept running longer).  I have to say, while the week started hard, it ended on a high note!


I do think that our "walking" intervals are too long, however.  My son keeps pushing for 3 minute walking breaks, but I think that has more to do with Pokemon Go than the actual need for rest.  Yes, I carry my phone with me while we run, and he carries it while we walk.  After all, we do have 3 pokestops in our own little neighborhood on our 2-mile route! 


Our protocol for this week starts with this run:

Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 4 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
...repeat twice


Run 6 minutes Walk 1 minute
Run 4 minutes
Walk 1 minute
Run 6 minutes

Then this run:
Run 7 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 7 minutes

I admit that I'm a little worried about this week.  The first one, while its 4 intervals and they have been doing three, will be hard...but I'll sell it to them since there is no 6-minute interval.  And, if I break down the second run, its doable, since they have already done 4-6-4, so its not that different...and the first run should be easier since they are fresher...the last one is the one I'm worried about.  And that last day...7-5-7....no idea how I'm selling that one.  If I think of any ways to spin it, I'll have to take notes so I don't forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...