Monday, November 7, 2011

Coach Wannabe to Future Coach

I was just discussing not too long ago about my interest in getting the RRCA coaching certification....lo and behold, this morning I receive an email and they will be offering the coaching class in my backyard next March! So, I signed up...looks like I will be an official RRCA Coach early next year!

Now, am I really qualified to utilize this title? Well, not yet. But by the time the course takes place, I will have two half marathons under my belt (as well as one 10K and one 15K), which makes me able to tell people that I'm really a runner :)

So, why do I want to do this? Sure, its kinda cool to have this certification...but I think its two-fold. First, I want to see how I can improve my own running. I've seen great improvements due to everything I've read and tried to incorporate, but I want to know how to do it right. I know it doesn't replace having a coach which can SEE what you are doing (unless someone videotapes me of course), but maybe I can help myself along significantly? I don't have a problem being my own guinea pig :) Besides, its cheaper to get this and work on what I learn from this experience than to pay a coach for a few months.

Second, I'm really taking on the "coach" role as part of our running club at work. While I can talk the talk to those that have no experience, I really would like to gain some confidence that I'm doing it right, you know? I certainly don't want to ruin the experience and guide them incorrectly...so this would certainly allow me the opportunity to know I'm doing it properly.

So, I'm excited about the opportunity...but also a bit intimidated. Do I really belong there? Is it appropriate for me to take space in a class opposed to someone more qualified? Since technically anyone can register and get certified, I suppose I may be the minority but certainly not an oddity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...