Thursday, October 6, 2011

100 Pushup Training Plan

I'm committed to trying this...just a few weeks to doing 100 pushups? Less than 30 minutes a week to commit? I'm game!




I looked at a few different plans and selected this one: http://hundredpushups.com/. The image to the right is from their site. They start you off with a "test" to see what your current level of push-up fitness is. I wonder how many I can do consecutively to failure? Initially, I'm guessing I'd fall into the "1" rank, which is ok with me. I don't expect to be able to do alot. The site indicates that most fall into rank "1" or "2". First, I've only been exercising a short time. Second, as a woman, I naturally have less upper body strength than men...and I'm just guessing that this little stat assumes you are a man....so rank "1" is fine with me.


Regardless, push-up are great cheap exercises...they will develop the pectoral muscles and triceps, with ancillary benefits to the deltoids, serratus anterior, coracobrachialis and the midsection as a whole, thereby defining your abs, triceps, shoulders and torso. Of course, you won't be able to see all these ripped muscles until I get rid of all this extra fat! :)



So, what does the first week look like? Its every other day, 3 days total/week. The sets are small to begin with, and they assume a 60 second break between each set.


Day 1 - 2, 3, 2, 2, max (at least 3)


Day 2 - 3, 4, 2, 3, max (at least 4)


Day 3 - 4, 5, 4, 4, max (at least 5)




Assuming I progress with each week, week 6 looks like this:


Day 1 - 25, 30, 20, 15, max


Day 2 - 14, 14, 15, 15, 14, 14, 10, 10, max (at least 44)


Day 3 - 13, 13, 17, 17, 16, 16, 14, 14, max (at least 50)




Throughout the 6 weeks, the program asks you to retest yourself, to determine how many to perform the following week. In the case above, I just assumed I did the bare minimum for "passing" to the next week. And then, when week 6 is completed, one is supposed to perform push-ups to failure again...and then maybe restart it, but at a different level.


I think this is worth trying...just not sure when I can squeeze it in. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...