Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Princess Started it all.....

I remember way back in early April someone mentioning the C25k program....that got me to research a few things online. And anyone who knows me knows that I am an excellent googler....someone needs to now something, and I will find it! So, I research away....after all, who wouldn't want to get a better understanding of what they are committing to?


What garnered the most attention was the Princess Half Marathon, that I stumbled across. I kept on going back to this one race, and thinking that, just maybe, I could partake in that. This was before I even finished week 1 of the program....insane when I think about it, isn't it? And yet, that propelled me to where I am right now....my goal to be able to run a half. The idea of relying on walking the Princess was just not going to cut it.



It took me a good 2-4 weeks to mention this idea to my husband, and I swear while he was supportive, I'm sure inside he was thinking "yeah right...she'll go all gung ho for a few weeks and then stop dead in her trails" ....while, I'm not dead and still running the trails now. So, I suppose it was a good thing that this was his inner voice saying this and not his outer voice :)



So, I had that injury and it set me back...but I still kept checking out the facebook page dedicated to the Princess Half....and how everyone was getting so excited for it, even though it was 8+ months away! I remember thinking...there simply must be something to this run! That facebook page ad my continued kindle-purchasing obsession on all books related to running kept me interested throughout that 4-5 week break. Seriously, when I look back on it, I'm surprised I had to drop running after only a few weeks and then equally surprised that I started all over again once the injury looked like it had healed! Well, the fact that I was reading magazines and purchasing running accessories and cute running clothes throughout this time also instilled that determination....hard to justify NOT running again when I am buying all of this stuff!



But, more so than anything else, I am proud of myself. I've never been an athlete. I've never understood the need. But, I do now. I love the sense of pride that I get when I do something that I didn't expect to be able to do. After all, just last night, I ran a quick 2-miler in 19 minutes....thats the fastest run ever for me! I was ecstatic! Sure, someone else may say that I'm slow, and thats ok....I'm not racing against them....this one is all for me.



Its been years since I can honestly say that I am proud of something that I'm doing...sure, I think I am a good mother and I'm constantly proud of the children that I am raising, but this is simply different....and its not something I ever thought I was missing, until I tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...