Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Danskin Triathlon Series

So, you were wondering which tri I have been referring to? I think I'm gonna take the plunge, so here it is....The Danskin Triathlon Series has eight Races throughout the country. It is the largest women and girls Series in the sport!

Now, there are two options for me:

  • Sprint distance triathlons (1⁄2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run) 
  • Super Sprint distance triathlons (1/4 mile swim, 7-8 mile bike, 2 mile run)

For me personally, given that this is my first foray into a tri, I'm gonna keep it simple and not stress over it.  I want to see what its all about, so I'm opting for the super sprint.  Remember, my goal is simply to not come in last :)  I'll be doing the "individual" option, but a relay team option is available for those that want to try a tri (get it?) but are extra weak on one event.


Raes are nationwide, but I'll be partaking in the first in this year's series:

  • May 13 – Clermont, FL (greater Orlando area) 
  • June 3 – Austin, TX 
  • July 22 – Webster, MA (greater Boston area) 
  • August 5 – Howell, MI
  • August 19 – Seattle, WA 
  • August 26 – Chicagoland 
  • September 9 – Sandy Hook, NJ 
  • October 7 – Palm Springs, CA

So, why this tri?  If I want to attempt a tri, what made this one unique?  Well, I must say that a normal tri is a bit intimidating.  I rather like my first experience to be all about the experience.  Let's be serious here...I haven't swam laps since high school...I'm not going to break any records.  So, I want to have fun.  I don't want any self-imposed intimidation.  I want to feel part of a community.  A women's series fits this bill perfectly!  Women's races simply tend to be more empowering....people tend to root you on more.  People tend to help you up if you have fallen more.  The average racer isn't so concerned about their times as they are about the fellow racers.

So, this is what I'll be focusing on....if there is any interest, maybe check it out here.  But if nothing else, simply think about what you are capable of doing....maybe a tri is your thing and you just need a little nudge?  Checking out this picture below just makes me want to part of the tri family, I must admit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...