Friday, March 16, 2012

Words of Wisdom: Pre

“You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.”
- Pre


While we all strive to be all our best, we often are simply satisfied with accomplishing a new goal.  Seriously, running a half marathon made me so proud.  I kept reminding myself what small percentage of people in this country have ever even attempted such a thing.  Its easy to be pleased with yourself.  Its good to be proud of your accomplishments!  But, what does that provide after the achievement is met?


Little, actually.  We all too easily become complacent.  Once we achieve that big goal (whether its running for 30 minutes straight or completing a half marathon), we become deflated.  We become a little more indifferent.  Now, we've all experienced this.  So, what do we do?  We either are content with our accomplishments or we find it deep inside ourselves to rise to a new challenge.


Now, the problem with the past challenge is that we remember how hard it was.  We remember the pain.  We remember the injury.  So, we need to remind ourselves of the joy and pride equally as much, if not more!


This season, I have officially become a seasoned recreational runner.  Am I content with this?  No.  Am I ready to take the next step?  Not quite yet.  There are some other goals that I will be working on in the next 2 months...and I will be "propelling" those, but I do want to make the next step in my running.  By summer, I will be "propelling" that goal as well.


Have you ever caught yourself sitting on your laurels?  What have you done to push yourself forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin - 4 stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...